Friday, October 17, 2008

Cold water swims Hot coffee runs

A few days ago I tried my first experience swimming in the balmy 60 degree water at Aquatic Park here in the city. I've been told that now is the warmer season to try open water swimming so I was curious to see how my body would adapt to the temperature. A very helpful woman at a local swimming program swim-art.comgave me some really great advice for first time cold water swimming. Her feedback was to only spend 30 minutes my first time out, take a hot shower afterwards, oh and that I’ll be hooked.

I figured the best way to experience Aquatic Park would be to make use of one of the local swimming club facilities as a guest. This would give me a chance to potentially meet other swimmers and also a place to change, store my things, and shower/warm up afterwards. There are two clubs located at the park: Dolphin Club and South End Rowing Club both share the park and offer access on alternate days of the week.

I chose the Dolphin Club for a few very compelling reasons: a) I heard they have more club rules and hey I like rules, b) they have a cooler name, c) it was the first club I researched online and I like the familiarity. All good reasons if only subjective.

Upon entering the club facilities I was immediately aware of the grand, historical, almost reverential tone of the building. I had the blended feeling of entering a house of worship or summer camp facility during off hours. The building is over 130 years old with hard wood floors, large very acoustical rooms, and I saw no one as I placed my guest visitor fee in a drop box and read the notices posted. I made my way up the stairs to the locker room and changed quickly, then proceeded outside to try the water.

The small patch of beach for entering and exiting the water is bordered on both sides by two piers and on this day was relatively empty. I saw only two people in the area, one man was sunning himself in a chair on the deck and another sat legs crossed in the sand. As I walked down to the water I started to wonder just how very cold and just how long it would take to get used to the temperature.

My feet entered the water slowly, the icy prickliness quickly traveled up my entire body, this was going to be cold. I'm picturing what it would feel like to immerse myself in a cold bowl of milk and cereal. Did I say milk and cereal? Let’s try milk, cereal, and frozen fruit. This is really cold! I move slowly and deliberately wading further in, starting to feel the cold surrounding me and wondering if I can last a full 10 minutes much less 30.

I finally am into the water at chest and then neck level as I start to swim. It feels surprisingly refreshing now that I'm completely submerged. I guess cold water swimming is like many intangible things we experience. We fear, we have anxiety, then we plunge, and soon we get used to it. I feel my heart beating and am looking around, nervous not sure if I'm allowed to swim straight ahead or if I am supposed to turn and swim out into the park area or if it even matters. Those darn rules I heard about, I secretly hope I am perhaps shunning a few rules since I am not really a member and can feign ignorance. I lied when I said I like rules, they’re highly overrated. There are few swimmers around so no guide to figure these things. I decide to just swim to the left towards the park and buoys using some basic common sense to dictate my direction.

Swimming in the open water feels very liberating. I'm being conscious of my stroke patterns and how well I'm moving along and try to build some speed intervals with rest breaks to get used to the workout. I'm smiling to myself as I picture what a few swims each week might net me in upper body conditioning and definition. I can feel a lot of muscles being recruited which normally might prefer their more casual lifestyle. They’ll save most of their thoughts for post swim feedback I’m quite sure.

Swimming in this water is giving me a fresh perspective on the Bay area. I can already tell I'll spend more time in the water as I appreciate the arresting views of the Bay. I can see Angel Island, Alcatraz, Tiburon, Sausalito, Marin Headlands, the Golden Gate Bridge, barges, piers, boats, people on the beach, people in the water, there are hundreds of spotty clouds in the clear blue sky. I’m almost overwhelmed by the sensory overload.

As for other reasons to further my swimming exploration, I feel the Type-A runner surfacing in me even here in the water. He is already calculating how long it will take me to build up the experience, skills, and endurance to undertake a Golden Gate Bridge swim or similar venture. I observe another experienced swimmer gracefully cutting through the water like a knife and try to appreciate how his stroke differs so that I can emulate.

After 27 minutes of laps and rest in the water I start swimming back towards shore, eager to warm up and reflect on the experience. I towel off in the sun, shivering and quickly bound up the stairs to the sauna for more warmth.

Twenty minutes in the sauna helps out but not tremendously, I am still quite cold and shivering and I leave the club in search of sunshine and coffee. I enter a Starbucks a block away and emerge with a big Venti drip coffee and hopes of regaining my proper core temperature. As I walk uphill on Hyde street I am still very much cold and not sure what to do.

I have my itunes playing…my coffee in hand… and I am wearing my running gear. What’s a fellow to do? I have over an hour before my track session at Kezar. A mantra I've heard before and love states “When in doubt, run uphill.” So I start running up Hyde Street, coffee cup in hand. This is a steep incline in some places probably 30-45% grade.

It feels great to warm up and my legs aren't even complaining yet. The coffee running at first seemed ridiculous but going uphill keeps my cup fairly even and nets almost no spillage. I am smiling and laughing nonetheless at the ridiculous image this must pose for people passing by, in the trolley, in a car, and walking.

Fully warmed up by the time I crest the top of Hyde Street I resume a fast walk and return to neighborhood exploration curious mode. There are quite a few great restaurants in the Russian Hill and Nob hill neighborhood. On one particular block I see several wine bars and find a great restaurant called Luella.I stop to view their menu which has a great Prixe Fixe offering, and I walk inside to feel the good energy as I exchange pleasantries with the hostess and take a business card.

Moving on down Hyde Street I alternate running and walking and as he sun sharply descends, I turn right onto Fell Street to venture through the Panhandle to Track workout.

No comments: