Monday, October 13, 2008

temporal

Today marks a return after a week or so absence from this rather new blog.

Observations:

The city of San Francisco survives an air strike, the world continues in a financial chaos, the US election remains, we remain, cold water can be appreciated for more than quenching physical thirst, and perhaps a few hundred more events and thoughts which may not make their way here but remain or surfaced briefly.

No real danger was posed to the city this past week save some loud and unexpected noise overhead as the Blue Angels
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm practiced their aeronautical maneuverings for the upcoming airshow here in town.

Being a newcomer I had been warned of this annual event but the continued presence was slightly distracting, amusing, and on occasion alarming. With the ever ongoing wars and conflicts around the globe, these sounds can sometimes be alarming despite our understanding of what we've been told.

So no airstrikes in reality just an occasional lapse of reason on my part and perhaps my neighbors in the city and surrounding bay area.

Financial chaos is everpresent but notable only in it's place as a cycle. I'm not going to ruminate on the conversations I've overheard in the supermarket, with friends, on the phone with family members and person on the street sort of reflections except to say I believe whatever comes of what may be the largest correction ever or since the depression one positive outcome will be a reset button on our expectations of what we need for basic subsistence. Perhaps this cycle comes at an opportune time to accelerate the Slow Food movement http://www.slowfoodusa.org/, http://www.slowfood.com/ and those of Voluntary Simplicity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_living In any event, it marks an occasion to consider less and perhaps evaluate alternatives to the commerce we employ and endure daily. Bartering, trading, alternative ways of coexisting seem far out until severe events such as what we have been facing arrive. Then suddenly, it doesn't seem so farfetched to consider a local exchange program which fosters stronger community where artisans, professionals, farmers, tradesmen, consider how to offer their services, skills, or products to each other as a cooperative exchange.

Cold water is not my preferred choice for drinking, swimming, or bathing. I trust most people disagree on the first but may agree that cold swims and showers or baths are not for the faint of heart.

On a recent walk up through Lands End at the northern tip of San Francisco last week I found a great spot to observe the sunset with views of the Golden Gate bridge, the Marin Headlands, and a small piece of Lands End and China Beach. I was probably 500 - 800 feet above the crashing waves and could hear nothing save the wind and was very at peace and content to sit there viewing things in slow motion. Signs I passed moments earlier indicated the strong currents of the water and mortal danger for swimmers or would be rock-perchers. "People have been swept from these rocks and drowned" I wondered first how they made their way down the cliff, and secondly just how close they made themselves to the large waves along the ragged coastline. As I sat there believing the dangers and appreciating the solitude, I heard laughter and cheers carried in the wind from somewhere. I turned around, and then looked down at the shore line and saw nothing. Then almost imperceptible, in the water, I saw small colorful figures, almost blending into the water, there were swimmers in these dangerous (and very cold) waters. And they were having a great time! I watched them moving along to circle a buoy and then turn around and head back towards China Beach. This marked a place in my mind, I too would soon brave the cold water and consider such joy. I looked online a few days later and found a few local swimming clubs which practice open water swimming and will be dipping my toes into the Aquatic Park nearby very soon.

Much more this past week fails to surface at the moment, but more even still perhaps in the week to come.

No comments: